simon

simon

About me

Rider for Graham Weigh Cycles.
Ridden for wales and currently on the welsh junior programme.



Thursday 1 October 2015

Great Orme Road Race 2015

Last weekend I headed to Llandudno for the race around the great orme, this race is very hilly and has a fast descent back down to the foot of the climb, the youth race would do 3 complete laps of the orme and after signing on at 8 o clock we were all ready on the start line at 9 o clock, we were set off and the first mile of the race was neutralised,  but after that the attacks started coming thick and fast with many riders going out the back on the first part of the climb, a fairly big group still made it to the top of the orme together and all descended hitting speeds of up to 43MPH in some places on the climb , after the descent it was a short piece of road through the streets of Llandudno before we hit the foot of the climb again, this time not so many attacks came and we all road through and off up to the final 800m when the attacks started to come on the steeper slopes, I did have a go myself but like all the other attacks the were swiftly brought back in, this time the group had whittled down to around 25 of us again descending of speeds of 40MPH +, we came through the start finish straight and the bell rang loud, and again not many attacks came and everyone was trying to save themselves for the last part of the climb to make an attack, and everyone had the same plan, as we came round the to see the summit it ramps up and many attacks came one after another with myself having ago too, the grouped whittled down again to around 20 and we all raced down the back of the orme as quick as we could go on our restricted gears, when we hit the flat it turned into a track sprint that would very slowly increase and we came closer to the line , we came round the final corner at around 15MPH and I decided to go early passed the grand hotel on the slight slopes of the orme, I held them off but we hit the last corner and they were on my wheel and I ended up getting swarmed by the sprinting group with 50m to go, I came across the line 11th which was a good result but I could have been higher if I had waited for the sprint finish. this is a really great event and look forward to it next year as a junior.
Thanks to Marsh Tracks for all the support this year and a massive thanks to my parents who have given up their time travelling me round the country this MTB and road season as it would not be possible to do what I do with out them. 

No comments:

Post a Comment